sound unusual? You HAVE to attempt it earlier than judging it, it’s actually scrumptious.
Beginning with the aromatics. I used a LOT of veggies. Certainly I need the flavour of the carrots, onion, and celery, however I additionally love the mouthfeel they add to a soup. I upped the garlic a bit; which is my norm. And this soup doesn’t like much of garlic
Greek Avgolemono Soup with Lemon and Rooster
A straightforward and scrumptious Rooster Soup with taste and richness from a whisked in lemon and egg combination.
Servings: 6 Servings
For the Soup
- Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 hen legs/laps
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups hen broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 oz pasta (roughly 2 cups, can substitute with rice, use just one to 1 & 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
For the Avgolemono Sauce
- 2 eggs large
- ½ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- In a big Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high. Add the hen legs and brown on all sides, roughly 2 minutes per facet. Take away to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot. Add the carrots, celery and onions, toss collectively to saute briefly then stir in the garlic. Saute for one minute.
- Add the hen/chicken broth and bay leaves, then increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid has come to a boil, turn down heat and add the hen. Let it simmer for 30-40 minutes till the meat is simple to drag from the bone. Take away the hen to a plate to chill and take away the meat when cool sufficient to deal with
- Ladle two cups of broth right into a bowl and permit to barely cool barely when you proceed to organize the soup.
- Add the pasta to the pot. Break strands into roughly one inch lengthy items together with your fingers over the simmering broth.
- Decrease warm to a simmer and cook dinner for 3-4 minutes till the pasta is finished. Add salt and pepper, stir and switch off warmth and maintain lined.
- To arrange the egg-lemon sauce, in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs till completely mixed, then add the lemon juice and stir to mix.
- Proceed to whisk the egg/lemon combination and slowly add the two ladles-full of the broth you put aside. Tempering the eggs with heat broth will make mixing them with the pot of soup much less possible end in scrambled eggs!
- As soon as totally mixed, slowly add the sauce to the hen soup and stir constantly. Add the hen meat to the pot.heat very gently if vital.
- To serve, garnish with recent, chopped parsley. Serve scorching together with your favourite bread.
If you wish to use ready hen from leftovers or a roast hen, use about 2-3 cups of hen meat. I like loads!